If you are on a weight loss spree, trying to trim down your waistline! Replace rice with quinoa. Yes, you heard it right! There was a time when rice was the only available grain but now quinoa has come up as a healthier alternative, in fact, has taken the superfood status. A lot of people think quinoa is a grain but it’s actually a seed of the goosefoot plant. It is cooked in a similar manner as grains are cooked and eaten likewise. White rice, on the other hand, is full of starch, this is the reason it’s not good for a weight loss regime.
Quinoa has lower calories than white rice, but the secret is in the carbohydrates. Rice has 15 times more crabs and quinoa provides 5 grams more fiber and doubles the amount of protein. Quinoa fills you up and this way you end up eating less.
Health benefits of Quinoa-
- Quinoa is the few plant sources which have complete protein. It has all the essential amino acids that your body needs.
- It is naturally gluten free
- A cup of quinoa is packed with 5 grams of dietary fiber, which is way more than white or brown rice. Fiber is helpful in maintaining good metabolism, it lowers down your cholesterol levels and controls blood sugar.
- Quinoa is rich in many minerals like zinc, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and manganese.
- Quinoa may also be good for your gut
- They have high antioxidants, allowing them to sprout increases their antioxidant level
Health benefits of brown rice-
If it’s difficult for you to give up on rice then choose a healthier version of it. By this, we mean consuming brown rice. Brown rice has all parts of the grain, germ, endosperm, and bran. This makes brown rice a whole grain and more nutritional. Brown rice might be a little more caloric but it has a high content of protein and fibers. Brown rice has multiple health benefits:
- Nourishes the gut
- Controls blood sugar level
- Lowers down cholesterol level
- Gives you a feeling of fullness
Brown rice also has selenium, which is vital in the production of thyroid hormone, immune function, and production of antioxidants. The magnesium content in it also helps in bone and muscle development. It has Folic acid which is recommended for pregnant women who are breastfeeding. Folic acid helps the body to make DNA and other genetic material and also helps in cell division.
So the next time you want to consume rice, get your hands on quinoa or brown rice for a healthier lifestyle.